WE’RE HIRING CAPTAINS IN NYC!
New York Sailing Collective is hiring professional sailors to operate our small fleet of classic sailboats in New York City
What is the New York Sailing Collective:
Not only is New York City surrounded by water, but it’s historically one of the world’s most famous sailing ports. Recreational boating largely died down during the last century and it has only been the past 20 years where recreational sailing has made its mark once again in New York Bay.
Summer 2020, the creators of Sailing Collective Travel Co. founded the newest sailing organization in New York Harbor – the New York Sailing Collective, the very first coastal cruising focused sailing club in the region. Operating from Pier 25 Marina, we sail aboard a fleet of 36’ cruising sailboats offering members opportunities to experience sailing beyond basic keelboat.
New York Sailing Collective is hiring a professional captain / sailing instructor to be in charge of the daily charter operations at Pier 25 Marina in Manhattan. This captain will operate on a 36’ classic full-keel fiberglass monohull with additional boats to be added to the fleet as needed. The role combines daily duties of a charter captain and sailing school instructor with some organizational responsibilities to help manage the maintenance of the boat(s) and other captains who will be running some of the trips and classes.
This is a customer-facing hospitality role and enthusiasm about interacting with clientele and sharing the excitement of sailing is a MUST! You shoul have advanced knowledge of coastal cruising and eager to share your knowledge with our members during the Members Skipper Acadamy weekly sailing program.
- Day charter operations: Welcoming guests and captaining the boat on daily tours of New York Harbour.
- Sailing School Instruction: Sailing with club members who are there to learn. Teaching sailing and administering tests.
- Cleaning and maintenance: Maintaining a high standard of detail on the boat and keeping systems running in coordination with boatyard mechanics.
- Program Management: Scheduling captains for the programming that you will not be personally running and communicating with the office about bookings and availability logistics.
- OUPV-6 Pack Coast Guard captain license
- Experience teaching basic keelboat, coastal cruising, and bareboat chartering using the American Sailing Association or US Sailing Association curriculums
- Professional sailing instructor background
- Professional charter experience
You should be comfortable with the following:
- Solo sailing
- Solo mooring and docking a 36’ full-keel boat
- Sailing instruction
- Coastal cruising theory including anchoring and chart plotting
- Racing including spinnaker operation
This job requires a flexible schedule and a commitment through the end of September.
- This is a PART-TIME position, approx. 10 to 20 hours per week
- Competitive set hourly wages
- Reports to: Director of Sailing Collective Sailing Collective
- On-boarding to begin July 15th, 2020
- To Apply – Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you!